For me there are four no-no’s when it comes to making delicious, crunchy cookies that will hold their shapes after baking.
1. No baking powder or soda. These are chemical leavening agents which will cause your cookies to puff up and rise.
2. Do not beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Air bubbles are introduced into the butter during the beating. These bubbles will expand in the hot oven.
3. No excessive re-rolling. Gluten will form when you overwork the dough. Dough prepared with the traditional creaming method will be tough after the second re-rolling whereas the one prepared with the reverse creaming method (which is also my preferred method) can be worked 4 to 5 times. Try to minimize scraps by cutting out cookies as close together as possible.
4. No cutting away without chilling the dough. Chilled dough is firm so makes it easier to stamp on and transfer to the baking sheet. Edges will be sharp and neat as well.
Recently, I’ve purchased a bag of Cacao Barry Extra Brute cocoa powder so I developed this chocolate cut-out butter cookies out of my vanilla version. I love how chocolatey my cookies have turned out (you can tell by its dark color). My kitchen was filled with a chocolate aroma while the cookies were in the oven and I just loved it.
3. 不反覆使用麵糰：不停按壓麵糰會令其出筋，用傳統糖油攪拌法做成的麵糰印模兩次後便會開始出筋變硬，EC使用的reverse creaming攪拌方法能將麵糰重複使用四至五次，印曲奇時亦要巧妙地利用空間，盡量減少翻壓麵糰的次數
EC最近購買了Cacao Barry Extra Brute特濃可可粉，為了試粉便把常常做的雲尼拿牛油曲奇換成朱古力味。這些曲奇可可粉味道十分香濃（光是看外表已很清楚吧），曲奇仍未出爐時EC的廚房已瀰漫着朱古力的芳香，十分讚呢！
Chocolate Cut-out Cookies (Crunchy)
130 g all-purpose flour
30 g cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
60 g granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
115 g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 (about 17 g) large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
大蛋蛋黃 1 隻（約17克）
Combine and sift the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk until thoroughly combined.
Cut cold butter into cubes then add to the dry ingredients. With a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on slow speed until the mixture resembles bread crumbs or wet sand. Watch out for flying ingredients if you use a hand mixer.
Add egg yolk and vanilla bean paste and mix until you get several large clumps. Press with your hands to form a dough.
Slightly flatten dough and squish dough into a rectangular shape. Roll out dough in between two pieces of parchment paper to prevent sticking to about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thickness for thin and thick cookies respectively. With parchment paper on, place dough on a large baking sheet then freeze for five to ten minutes until it is firm to the touch.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Remove dough from freezer and peel off the parchment paper from the top. Cut out and stamp cookies then place on baking sheet. Collect dough scraps and form into a ball then repeat the rolling, chilling, and cutting process. The dough can be re-rolled 4 to 5 times.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in a 350ºF/180ºC preheated oven (depending on the size and thickness of the cookies so adjust your time accordingly) until they turn golden brown around the edges. Let cookies sit a few minutes on the sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Makes about 20 thick or 40 thin Doraemon cookies
My newly purchased Cacao Barry Extra Brute cocoa powder. It’s a Dutch-processed cocoa powder and has a nice deep color,
EC新買的Cacao Barry Extra Brute特濃可可粉，這是鹼化可可粉，色澤較深。
My thick and vanilla-y Doraemon cookies.
If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
EC Bakes 小意思 Facebook 專頁 www.facebook.com/ECBakes
© Copyright 2015 ecbakes.com
Leave a Reply