Winter has finally arrived! We were hit by a major snowstorm here in Toronto. There was heavy snowfall everywhere when I looked out from my window this morning. My kids had a fun time making snow angels and playing with the white fluffy snow in the backyard after school. I would rather not stay outdoor if it wasn’t because of my kids. I prefer staying home to read (or watch tv) while sipping on a cup of hot Korean honey citron tea. I read about a tangerine poppy seed chiffon cake recipe on Cindy Mushet’s book The Art and Soul of Baking (see the online recipe here). Inspired by this, I made a chiffon cake with my bottle of honey citron tea. This cake contains more flour and liquids compared to the chiffon cake recipe I always make. The batter is thicker and the outcome is a cake that is sturdy and very springy to the touch. I tweaked the recipe by replacing fresh tangerine juice with diluted honey citron tea and substituting tangerine zests with peels that come in the bottle. For a less complicated flavor I omit the orange oil, poppy seed and vanilla extract from the original recipe. The addition of salt makes the cake tastes like Chinese preserved kumquat to me so I omit it as well after my first attempt. As per the amount of sugar used, I cut it down to only 40%… yes… only 40% of what the original recipe calls for! The resulting honey citron tea chiffon cake recipe is comparatively more straightforward. The refreshing and subtle citrus note pairs up nicely with slightly sweetened whipped cream. This cake will taste great whether it is chilled or served at room temperature.
真正的冬天到了! 這兩天多倫多被雪暴吹襲，今早起床望出窗已是厚厚的白濛濛的一片積雪。小朋友有機會玩雪就最興奮，下課回家後走到後花園往雪堆中跳來跳去玩得不亦樂乎! 若不是為了陪伴小朋友EC是萬分不願意在外面逗留的，寧願躲在家中呷着熱熱的柚子蜜看書(或電視)好過。最近在Cindy Mushet 的書The Art and Soul of Baking中看到一個柑橘罌粟籽雪芳蛋糕食譜(網上食譜連結可按此)，於是便依樣畫葫蘆來個柚子蜜雪芳蛋糕。跟EC常用的雪芳蛋糕食譜比較，這個食諳的麵粉及液體成份比較多，所以麵糊比EC慣做的厚，蛋糕質地實淨兼有彈性。關於食譜的更改，EC以稀釋的柚子蜜代替原食譜的柑橘汁，用柚子蜜中的皮代替柑橘皮。因為只想要柚子蜜清新的味道，所以原食譜中的橙油、罌粟籽、雲尼拿油等EC一概省略! 原食譜是含鹽的，試做後EC覺得蛋糕味道有點像咸柑桔，所以再試時乾脆連鹽也不要了! 至於糖量，EC按自己不愛甜的口味將糖大幅度的減了六成 — 你沒看錯，真是減了六成糖啊！經過幾次修訂及試驗後，EC得出以下相對上比較簡單的柚子蜜雪芳蛋糕食譜。清香的柚子蜜蛋糕配上微甜的淡忌廉夾心，雪凍吃或室溫吃都適宜!
Honey Citron Tea Chiffon Cake 柚子蜜戚風蛋糕
makes 16 2×2 inch cake squares
115 g Cake flour
20 g Superfine sugar
1 tsp Baking powder
60 g Canola or vegetable oil
4 Egg yolks, large
50 g Korean honey citron tea
30 g Hot water
5-6 citron peels, minced
4 Egg whites, large
40 g Superfine sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar (may be replaced with 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice)
70 g Whipping cream
6 g Superfine sugar
2-3 Citron peels, minced (optional)
低筋麵粉 115 克
細砂糖 20 克
泡打粉 1 茶匙
芥花籽油或菜油 60 克
蛋黃(大蛋) 4 顆
韓國柚子蜜 50 克
熱水 30 克
柚子蜜皮茸 (剪碎) 5-6條
蛋白(大蛋) 4 顆
細砂糖 40 克
他他粉 1/2 茶匙 (可用1茶匙白醋或檸檬汁代替)
淡忌廉 70 克
細砂糖 6 克
柚子蜜皮茸 (剪碎) 2-3條 (可省略)
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C. Line bottom of an 8-inch square cake pan with parchment paper. Cut citron peels in small pieces with a pair of kitchen scissors. Mix minced peels with honey citron tea and hot water. Stir well and set aside to let cool.
- For the batter: combine and sift cake flour, baking powder and sugar into a mixing bowl. Mix well and make a well in the center. Add oil, honey citron tea mixture and egg yolks to the well and whisk gently until combined.
- For the meringue, wipe the mixing bowl and wire beater with paper towel and vinegar or lemon juice to remove traces of grease before you start. Whip egg whites with a hand or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat egg white until soft peak forms. Then slowly add sugar and beat until glossy and firm peak forms. When you lift up the whisk, the meringue will hold its pointy shape.
- Mixing: scoop about one third of the meringue into the batter and mix well to lighten. Then pour this back to the remaining meringue. Fold gently and thoroughly so that you don’t deflate the meringue until you see no streaks of white. Pour batter into the cake pan. Tap pan against the kitchen counter several times to get rid of any large air bubbles. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cake is done or a skewer inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. All ovens are different so adjust baking time accordingly. Drop cake pan on the kitchen counter from a distance to release any gas trapped in the cake cells to minimize shrinkage. Cool cake on a cooling rack. Once cooled, remove cake by running a palette knife against the sides of the pan. Peel off parchment paper from the bottom of cake and slice cake horizontally in half.
放入焗爐焗15至20分鐘至熟或竹簽插入蛋糕中心取出後不沾麵糊 (不同焗爐可能要不同時間，請自行調節)， 取出後將蛋糕連烤模從高處大約兩、三個手掌位跌下將困於蛋糕內的空氣震破避免蛋糕回縮，放涼後可用小刀沿蛋糕邊鬆開協助甩模，撕去蛋糕底部牛油紙後用長刀將蛋糕橫切成兩片。
- Prepare filling by beating whipped cream and sugar in a chilled mixing bowl until firm peak forms. Fold in minced citron peels if using. Spread filling over a cake layer then top with the other layer. Trim edges then cut cake into 16 squares. Cake can be served chilled or at room temperature. Keep leftover cake in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Please finish the cake within two to three days or else the cake will become dry.
If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
版權所有, 如需引用, 請註明出處
Click here to find me on Facebook @ ECBakes